Re: GG:Death of Symphonies

I am a new listener to classical music (6 years), and a rather young
listener, as I look across most concerts I attend (24 years old).

I notice that most of my friends, who think they don't like classical
music, haven't been to an orchestral concert, and have dismal copies of
"classical music's greatest hits".  I often recommend recordings, or
loan out ones I have that I feel are better performances of the music
that they have.  These friends are often amazed at how much better, a
Beethoven Fifth Symphony can sound.

As a teacher, I have found all most people need to accept things, is a
proper introduction.  My Fourth Grade, just one month into school, as
already turned from Top Forty or Country only, to students with quite a
desire to work with classical, jazz, fifties, or other out of mainstream
music on.  They unanimously voted to attend the Phoenix Symphony's
Student Programs, and find the classical sampler CD's in my treasure
chest, as a first choice.

Your recollection of GG comment that recordings would revitalize
classical music, I feel is accurate.  But, there are too many companies
who don't care about revitalizing recordings enough to issue or demand a
good product. (GG was very particular about what he allowed to be
released, so he could be assured that, if in only his opinion, it was a
quality product.) Many companies put profits first, and any CD they
record gets published, this helps push away listeners rather than
attract them.

I, too, lament to see the decline of the symphony.  The orchestra is
much more than people playing instruments. It is a way to look into the
lives of composers, conductors, and players, and share something special
with them.

Glenn Gould said of his 1959 Salzburg recital, where he played, among
other things, the Goldberg Variations, "I brought off something
exceptionally fine, and it would have been nicer to have had an audience
of twenty thousand rather than just two thousand."

I have been to concerts where I felt the same way.

All the Best,
Charles J. Siffermann