Re: GG:Death of Symphonies

	I'm not sure that the CNN report entirely supports Gould's points.
The crisis of the American symphony orchestras is not only because people
find concerts to be an off-putting way to experience music (and in rock
and other forms of popular music concerts attract large and devoted
audiences, after all): the problem seems to me to be a more general crisis
of classical music, which extends far beyond classical concerts to embrace
radio broadcasting and classical recording too.  Recent reports have
detailed the way the major recording companies are drastically scaling
back their classical recording plans, and one of the orchestras on strike,
the Philadelphia, is upset because their recording contract (with EMI) has
been dropped.  The Cleveland Orchestra has had its recording contract
(with London/Decca) cut by more than half, and there are rumors that the
classical divisions of the major recording companies will be folded into
the pop divisions.  The problem is that the money just isn't there (the
average classical recording sells under 5,000 copies) and that means that
the audience isn't there, not just for concerts, but for recordings too.
At least as presently defined, classical music may be a dying art form,
and my recollection of Gould is that he thought recordings would
revitalize classical music.  Gould would have been happy to see concerts
fade away, but I don't think he'd rejoice in the death of the symphony
orchestra.

Robert Kunath