GG's friendship with David Bar-Illan

I once read an interview with the Israeli pianist, who was a contemporary
of GG, but who seems to have disappeared after a short career. In the
interview, DB said that GG considered themselves to be "soul mates." DB
also said that GG "lives, absolutely, as he chooses," referring to GG's
enviable life-style, i.e., having given up concertizing and retaining
friendships largely via telephone contact, thereby controlling the time
others could intrude on GG's life.
I'm wondering if any of the f_minor group who are in-depth students of our
subject could comment on whether the two men ever met. Could GG bestow the
rare compliment based only on a relationship sustained by phone? Also, what
happened to DB?