Re: GG: competitions

What had GG written on the matter of competetion(s)?

"I happen to believe that competition rather than money is the root of all
evil..."
from 'of Mozart and related matters', in conv. with Bruno Monsaingeon
(1976), reproduced in GG reader
Here he is referring particularly to his general distaste for the concerto
form.

"The menace of the competitive idea is that through emphasis upon
consensus, it extracts that mean, indisputable, readily certifiable core of
competence and leaves its eager, ill-advised suppliants forever stunted,
victims of a spiritual lobotomy"
from 'We who are about to be disqualified salute you', from GG reader,
close of article about Montreal's 1st Int'l violin competition, 1966.

Who can doubt the absurd irony of a (traditional) GG piano competition! If
there were a GG competition, I think it should be held in Yellow Knife, NW
Territories in midwinter, and perhaps be all-Mendelssohn.

Rick

* Richard Paul Ratowsky                    *
* Engineering Research Division            *
* Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory   *
* (510) 423-3907 voice                     *
* (510) 422-3013 fax                       *
* rpr@llnl.gov                             *