GG: and Ken Dryden

What could Ken Dryden the hockey player and Glenn Gould the pianist
possibly have in common? Well .... both ...

... were arguably the worlds best (we all know about Glenn but for
non-hockey fans Ken is generally accepted as one of the best if not the
best hockey goalie of all time).

... were articulate (we all know about Glenn but for non-hockey fans Ken
has several books (not ghostwritten) to his credit. Interviews with him
during his hockey playing years proved him to be amazingly well spoken.

... were intelligent (we all know about Glenn but for non-hockey fans Ken
is now a lawyer).

... shunned the spotlight (we all know about Glenn but for non-hockey fans
Ken had little-or-no interest in becoming rich and famous (yes even though
he became a lawyer. Fact is, he refused to be anyones spokesperson and did
not do endorsements of any kind. Not for Nike. Not for Coke. Not for his
old public school best friend (me) who asked him to endorse the product for
which I was the marketing manager nationally. Nada.

For the life of me I can't think of any other 20th century world-great who
shunned fame and fortune like they did. Can you?

What may be of particular interest to the group is that they had one other
thing in common ... they were both Canadians, specifically Torontonians (we
all know about Glenn but for non-hockey fans although Ken played for
Montreal he grew up in Toronto ... Etobicoke specifically)

Regards,

Ken Dunn
Wordsmith at Large
dunn@drool.com