[f_minor] er... F# minor (WTC I)

ttdali at yahoo.com ttdali at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 2 16:57:29 MDT 2022

 Thanks for the photos.
Can we start talking about Glenn again, like, starting over? I searched out this mailing list in the last year, knowing it existed but never having been subscribed. There is nowhere else for such discussions, that I know of. I don't use Facebook.
Here's a discussion topic. Recently I noticed that the F# minor fugue of WTC I ends with a Picardy third when played by others. This turns out to be "correct", at least according to a cursory review. But Glenn ends it in the minor, which to me sounds much better given the severity of what came before. It is one of my favorite fugues.

Has anyone else noticed this? I am not particularly educated in theory or practice. Did Glenn make many other "little" changes like this? How big a sin is this from a purist's point of view?

Richter: https://youtu.be/RjAQLU23keI?t=289Schiff: https://youtu.be/FPTwkPQ6ecc?t=206Gould: https://youtu.be/t2TKz1YR1fc?t=213