[f_minor] Glenn Gould Final Public Concert

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Wed Jan 7 16:39:30 MST 2015

Hi Will,

    Is there a recording of the April 10, 1964 concert Gould gave in Los
    Angeles at the Wilshire Ebell?

Not that I have ever heard of.

    In addition to the Beethoven Opus 110 and the Hindemith 3th Sonata,
    do we know *which* four fugues he played from the Art of the Fugue
    that night?

Turns out this was also asked back in 2000, see thread starting at
http://www.glenngould.org/mail/archives/f_minor/msg05135.html,
where the OP searched the LA papers, but no answer was ever found.

As I replied back then, in
http://www.glenngould.org/mail/archives/f_minor/msg05139.html, it's a
reasonable guess that #1, #2, and #4 were three of the four, since he
played those essentially every time he played any AoF pieces.  No
guesses on the fourth one.

I could never find the complete-as-possible program listing of Gould
concerts that I hypothesized back then ...

Good luck,
Karl