[f_minor] Gould and Shostakovich, Gould and Ives 4th (27 April, 1965)

Yoshiyuki Mukudai mukudaiyoshiyuki at googlemail.com
Sat Dec 27 04:01:03 MST 2014

Hello friends,

Happy holidays, by the way!
I have 2 questions which some of you may well be able to answer. The
original e-mail sent to Tim Page only to receive nothing.

Is Glenn trying to explain exactly what he is writing here with Mormon hymn
or is he intending to caricature the America? (I do have Mormon hymn book
so that I know and can play this particular hymn at the keyboard.)

The Glenn Gould Reader: pp 386 "Radio as Music" on Stokowski.
"Shostakovich"s Eleventh Symphony. At the end of the folk-song sequence a
refrain of the Mormon hymn "Come, come ye saints" (he's talking about
immigrant patterns in the settling of America) gets us to the key of G, and
for its dominant - D - we included a few bars of "Ein fest Burg" - a
performance that was recorded in Philadelphian the early twenties. This
reminds him of the old days, his early years in the recording studio (back
to 1917 in fact), and he hears his earliest attempt at the Rienzi Overture
- technologically pathetic but very funny - played for all its monaural
worth exclusively in the right speaker."

Another is Ives and Horowitz:
Apparently Glenn is sticky with these two events. Is this the evidence that
Glenn jealous about Horowitz and his Scriabin (d. 27. April, 1915)?
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=9906EEDD123CE733A25754C2A9629C946491D6CF
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=9D01E7DC123CE733A25754C2A9629C946491D6CF
Music: Stokowski Conducts Ives's Fourth Symphony in World Premiere After 50
Years; American...
<http://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fquery.nytimes.com%2Fgst%2Fabstract.html%3Fres%3D9906EEDD123CE733A25754C2A9629C946491D6CF&h=pAQFEYsAp&s=1>

Post Script:
In the liner of "Glenn Gould Silver Jubilee Album" CD released in 1998 was
written by a hand of Japanese musicologist "Titan" and Glenn Gould
self-called "expert" called Jun'ichi Miyazawa. His translation is very
strange and has very easy-going errors.

Example:
Margaret Pacsu:
With Sir Nigel Twitt-Thornwaite, she narrated the Italia Prize-contending
documentary "Music at the Chapel Royal from James VI to James I," with
Martha Hortavanyi, the psychologicallly probing TV mini-series "Six Wives
of Gregor Samsa" and, in a forthcoming 13-week series "A Fjord in Your
Future" co-produced by the Cousteau Institute and the Southwest Greenland
Geographical Society, she will join Karlheinz Klopweisser in a two-man
submarine and a discussion of "Sonar Forms and Echo Ratios from Brattahlid
to Herjolfnes." Miss Pacsu has resided for many years in Toronto where she
serves as the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation's token New Jerseyite.

Miyazawa translates: (at least there are these errors: this certain
Miyazawa doesn't
understand what the "Past Tense" is!)
With Sir Nigel Twitt-Thornwaite, she narrated the Italia Prize-contending
documentary "Music at the Chapel Royal from James VI to James I," with
Martha Hortavanyi, the psychologicallly probing TV mini-series "Six Wives
of Gregor Samsa" and, in a forthcoming (*curiously enough deleted from the
liner translation) 13-week series "A Fjord in Your Future" co-produced by
the Cousteau Institute and the Southwest Greenland Geographical Society,
she will (curiously enough deleted from Miyazawa's Sony liner translation)
 joined Karlheinz Klopweisser in a two-man submarine and made (curiously
enough added by Miyazawa self-claiming expert of Glenn Gould scholor) a
discussion of "Sonar Forms and Echo Ratios from Brattahlid to Herjolfnes."
Miss Pacsu has resided for many years in Toronto where she serves as the
Canadian Broadcasting Corporation's token New Jerseyite.

Shockingly enough, this Jun'ichi Miyazawa is among the most respected by
many of uneducated Japanese music lovers to its scholors. This is one of
many samples proving low standard of the Japanese Intelligentsa quality.

Best,
Yoshiyuki

---
Yoshiyuki Mukudai