[f_minor] CD318 and the Chickering

maryellen jensen maryellenjensen28 at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 20 14:03:53 MST 2014

Thanks for that Elaine. I was going to add that GG's pianos are transported around a bit for special occasions while the maple leaf chair remains in its plexiglass box in the museum... perhaps it's easier to find the chait for that reason. I don't know.

"Among
 design quirks that Chickering pianos had were smaller thickness hammer
shanks to decrease the woody sound of the hammer striking the string.  Chickerings’ dampers ran about 6 notes higher than everyone else.  In
 the early part of the century they used several weird designs like the
Quarter Grand which had pin blocks in 4 sections and bolted from
underneath rather than screwed on form the top of the plate. These
design are conversation pieces for the piano tuners of today.  Fortunately,
 because the  pianos live a long time there will be older Chickerings to
 tune so that they may bring praise the House of Chickering.  Baldwin now owns the Chickering name and currently (2008) has ceased production of all Chickering named pianos."

My favourite interview in "Genius Within" was that of "Faun", or "Fawn". I thought she was utterly brilliant.

Mary