[f_minor] Fw: off-track

Pat pzumst at bluewin.ch
Thu May 30 15:26:13 MDT 2013

Dear all

Michael, I have found the essay online and of course to a degree he is right. And wrong. I dunno...

Especially in the german-speaking world (being Swiss I am a part of that small spot) the subject of Wagner is, er, laden with history. People outside of that world may have a more relaxed attitude towards Wagner, but at least Germans are very sensitive about artists like Wagner, Furtwängler, von Karajan, Strauss etc. and their backlog.

The whole subject gets even a bit weirder when one considers that the musical works of Wagner were deeply admired by Mahler or Klemperer and there are (jewish) intellectuals like Stephen Fry (former judge for the GG Prize) and Daniel Barenboim actually defending Wagner’s music – but not the person of curse.

And apparently there is even a Wagner Appreciation Society in Israel, who would have thought ? Maestro Barenboim recently caused a very nasty and lout storm when he tried to perform some Overtures in Jerusalem, where Wagner still is persona non grata. Classical Music and Politics ? I dunno....

Here is part of a conversation between Baranboim and the late Edward Said, also an intellectual heavyweight in his own right in case y’all are still interested in the matter:
http://www.danielbarenboim.com/journal/wagner-and-ideology.html

It is my understanding that Mr. Gould had a strong interest in Wagner (see the transcript record) at the beginning of the 80s, who knows what he would have come up with later on, maybe even as conductor ? Alas, we will never know. Dead at 50, too many pills.

Pat