[f_minor] Gould and problem-solving

Robert Merkin bobmerk at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 22 14:29:36 MST 2013

Hiya Jörgen, Karl et omnes --

Maybe a side trip to a parallel art and a different artist might help illuminate this odd question of why and when Gould mysteriously strayed from his trademark musical perfectionism.

Probably in one of his interviews with The Paris Review, the American visual artist Donald Evans (1945-1977) was asked about the (intentional) imperfections in many of his faux postage stamps and mail art (all of which he painted actual postage-stamp size). Examples might include intentionally ruined/damaged stamps -- a coffee-cup stain ring in a corner is the sort of thing one might expect to find in an Evans stamp.

Evans had a phrase (which I've merrily forgotten) for these intentional imperfections, but he wanted them as important tools to achieve the "realism" of his faux postage stamps. Our ubiquitous experience with real stamps and real mail/post objects (envelopes, postcards) is pregnant with damage and stains and rips and tears, physical abuse inherent in the thuggish process of postal delivery, and (for stamp collectors) the inevitable damage of old age, fading, yellowing.

Evans was striving not just for remarkably beautiful and evocative visuals (almost all watercolors), but for the opposite of what art museums go to costly lengths to prevent and delay -- the deleterious effects of time, aging, accidents, light, moisture and heat exposure. Evans WANTED the random inclusion of these "bad things," to subtly draw the viewer into the realism of his postage-stamp imaginary universe, to convince the viewer that the viewer was seeing "the real thing," "the McCoy."

Gould's escape from live performances to the "total control" environment of the recording studio must almost instantly have made him acutely aware of the sterility that is perfection's handmaiden and reward.

Worse and more painfully, the studio must constantly and starkly reminded him of the spontaneous thrill of accidents, mistakes, audience coughing. Stripping his music of spontaneity and accidents (by editing out all spontaneity and mistakes and accidents) must have provided painful reminders of the musical reality -- the beautiful reality -- of live performance.

Perfectionism is a harsh mistress, who enjoys taunting and tormenting the perfectionist with her built-in and unavoidable failures to achieve that which the artist so obsessively desired. Studio Gould must have been a life like Tantalus' grapes: so intimately and deliciously near, but forever just out of reach.

Bob
Massachusetts USA

P.S. Before I gave up the vinyl ghost and moved my GG to the fancy new-fangled CD format, I'd come to love and anticipate every scratch, hiss and hiccup of my Mozart sonatas. Of course I took pleasure in hearing the pieces so marvelously cleaned up, but I missed my sloppy needle-kicking hissing old friends. Reality ISN'T perfect, and perfection rarely lives up to its promise to make us happy.