[f_minor] Alfred Deller - Melancholy Holiday

maryellen jensen maryellenjensen28 at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 24 16:42:55 MST 2012

Had it not been for a biography about Gould it would have taken me a hell of a lot longer to discover Alfred Deller. I admit it. I also admit that I might never have liked listening to Schoenberg had it not been for Gould's enthusiasm.
So it's "Christmas" and one tends to be a little, well, sensitive to the joys and the sorrows of life and so I offer a little of the seriousness of life via Alfred Deller (forget about the video) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqwBB8Nut4s

20 little children. Such a thing. So stop singing "Amazing Grace" for yourself America and begin singing some really sorrowful tunes. Why not begin now? Now, this Christmas. Join in, "Let me weep for ever weep". All together now - time to grow up and face yourselves.

Again, without the Gould biography I'd probably never have "found" Alfred Deller - thank you Glen Gold.

Merry Christmas,
Mary