[f_minor] I wonder what happened to...

Anita Monroe rubatoatm at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 09:05:10 MDT 2012

Dear DJWP, I hope that series is reissued on DVD.  Please let us know if
that happens. It sounds like it is something truly worth hearing.
The issue of the worth of Mozart is something that is always going to ebb
and flow with different generations.  My own teacher who is considerable
older than most performing musicians thinks that Mozart writes primarily
immature music, a playful sort of thing for the
entertainment of the social elite of the day.  There are only a few pieces
that he takes seriously.

As far as GG and other pianists are concerned, there are many issues as
well.  When he was starting his career, his type of playing was not in the
mainstream.  Horowitz's style was considered the epitome of grace and
power.  The Russian style of playing was at its peak and GG was thought of
as a throwback, nothing to take seriously. There was even a touch of envy
(in my opinion) because his records sold so well AND he was lionized in
RUSSIA, of all places when he was still in his 20's.

When his records started coming out, I was a very young person, and I found
his playing fascinating.  Like most young pianists, Bach was part of my
training, and it was so exciting to hear that music played with such a
fresh approach.  I have given CD's of GG to many friends and have been
interested in their reactions.  Several just thanked me but really didn't
like it.  The ones that did were techie people, a few were hermits who live
full-time in RV's., and a few piano students felt about him the same way
that I did at their age.  On and on it goes.

Best,
Anita
RubatoATM at gmail.com