[f_minor] Thirty Two Short Films About Glenn Gould

Ed Price ed.price at gmail.com
Sat Mar 31 12:23:14 PDT 2012

I wouldn't argue against that principle (that it's best to watch a film "as the
director intended") but it's not always so simple to know...  Some things
are filmed so that they will "work" in both widescreen and "fullscreen"
aspect ratio.  Who knows whether the director really intends the framing
to be 4:3 and you're "missing out" on what the black bars hide, vs. the
director intends it to be widescreen but the extra stuff on the top and
bottom is not going to ruin it.

I don't know 100% for a fact but I would think the director intended 32
Short Films to be viewed widescreen in the theater on its original
release!  Hopefully that's the widescreen version on the 2011 DVD,
and I would hope that the new release also has that version, in
addition to the 4:3 version, whatever it may be (unmatted or pan
& scan).

Finally: I often watch movies with my brother.  I use a projector and a
screen and there's always a bit of adjustment to be made at first.  He
is always insistent that absolutely none of the image is off the screen.
He doesn't want to miss anything.  But he doesn't care if there's a bit
of black blank space around the image.  However, I like the image to
fill the screen!  I like the immersiveness of it.  So it takes a bit of time
to get it *just right* so we're both satisified :)

-Ed