[f_minor] Book Review

Marco Poli marco.poli at unimi.it
Sat Mar 17 15:24:45 PDT 2012

Anita,
	I do - quite - agree with you: Hafner's
book (which was translated in Italian back in
2009: a good indicator of the interest for Glenn
Gould's art in this Country) is surely among the
best ever published.   Of course, the best one is
the one yet to be written, combining Bazzana's
erudition, Hafner's passion etc.

I would also like to ask f_minor members their
opinion on a brilliant present-day piano player:
Hélène Grimaud.  Although her repertoire
preferences (including, apart from the "Three
Bs", Rachmaninoff, Ravel, Mozart, Chopin,
Schumann) are in some instances very far from
Gould's, she somehow seems to me to be a sort of
a kin of spirit with him in her independence of
choices, in not accepting to be conditioned by
charismatic conductors (see the recent quérelle
with Abbado), in being very clear on what she
likes or dislikes, in belonging to the category
of what I call "thinking pianists" - I hopefully
will explain what I mean in a further occasion -,
and finally in her love for nature and especially
animals.   Of course, the main common point with
Gould is that, in my opinion, she is a very good
musician!
I would like to read your comments.
Thanks

Marco