[f_minor] Monsaingeon/David Oistrakh

Jörgen Lundmark jorgen.lundmark at mypost.se
Sun Mar 11 08:33:41 PDT 2012

Hello Pat,

I guess hero worship is often a part when great musicians are portrayed.
It's also important to remember that Gould scripted most of his
TV-appearances, and this is true as far as the two Monsaigeon programs
are concerned. I've never been bothered by that. The idea of the "truth"
in documentaris can always be questioned: it is always a point of view
that is, and must be, presented.

As far as the "Chemins de la Musique" is concerned I don't think
Monsaingeon is inordinately trying to please Gould, and the scripted
dialogue does strike me as revealing and to the point. In the Bach
series, the discussions between the two are really secondary to the
amazing playing.

Regards,
Jorgen