[f_minor] Monsaingeon/David Oistrakh

Jörgen Lundmark jorgen.lundmark at mypost.se
Sat Mar 10 17:10:57 PST 2012

Thank you for the correct title of the documentary series, Mary! I agree
with you that it is perhaps the most multi-facetted portrait of Gould
(it's from 1974, avalilable on an EMI DVD with the English title "The
Alchemist"). It is crowned by a truly moving performance of Bach's 6th
partita.

I do wish the copyright problems with "The Well-Tempered Listener" will
be sorted out. Not only does it contains some very interesting
discussions, but is the only one which features Gould on different
instruments playing the same fugue as well as visualizing the "one hand
for each voice experiment".

Same goes for the three Bach programs which I think contains some of
Gould's very berst performances. It is sad Gould never got a chance --
read Kevin Bazzana's "Wondrous Strange" -- to realize the complete Bach
series which would consist of some five programs with examples of
chamber music as well.

Regards,
Jorgen