[f_minor] Orlando Gibbons / bring out your dead

Robert Merkin bobmerk at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 1 13:20:56 PST 2012

Defoe was 6 years old during the Plague Year 1665, so his memories of it were probably a bit hazy and unreliable.

Yet the genius of "A Journal of the Plague Year" is the absolute conviction of every reader that this is an authentic, first-person account by an Englishman who lived through and witnessed the Great Plague.

Defoe had -- Defoe invented -- the gift of not sounding like a great novelist or storyteller, but sounding like the honest, genuine guy next door who just happened to witness or experience astonishing and terrifying things. Most readers at the time (1722) indeed thought they were reading a work of non-fiction.

I hope he hasn't gone out of style. Some venerated gasbag novelists fully deserve to go out of style and be mercifully forgotten.

But Defoe is as astonishing and thrilling to readers today as he was when he wrote these amazing books. And "A Journal of the Plague Year" (IMHO) was his best.

Defoe hasn't been publishing much new stuff, but there's a delightfully surprising recent development in his career. Scholars have pretty much established that a very popular ripping yarn about the vile misdeeds of the terrible pirates of the age, "A General History of the Pyrates" (1724), was actually written by Defoe under the pseudonymn "Captain Charles Johnson." My wife got it for me a few Christmases ago, and it's a pip! Arrrrrgh!

We also owe a great debt to the Plague itself. When it broke out, Cambridge University closed, and a 22-year-old undergrad was sent back to the family farm at Woolsthorpe. While he was killing time napping beneath a tree, an apple fell on his head, and Isaac Newton wondered if the force that made the apple drop was the same force that kept the Moon in orbit. (It was.)

Bob