[f_minor] Orlando Gibbons

Pat pzumst at bluewin.ch
Thu Mar 1 11:59:43 PST 2012

....with the only minor problem that Defoe was not an actual eye witness.

But given the age of the book it is remarkably easy to read and modern in its style, working more as a reportage one might remeber from Life or McLean’s than a dull history book.
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/376

In any case it is a crying shame that GG* never recorded more post-elisabethan music. Somehow stuff like, Tye Tallis, Downald, Gibbons, Byrd etc is starting to grow on me....and if it had not been for GG, I’d probably never heard of these  two composers. Maybe I should watch The Tudors after all...

* Over the years this list has used the acronym GG as it is more conveniant than Mr. Gould or Glenn Gould or, Darwin forbid, just Glenn. “GG” has become common use over the years, not at least because it is short and not too informal. You may call him Glenn, Our St. Glenn of Uptergrove or whatever. Some cynics call him overrated. I call him GG with formality and respect.

Pat