[f_minor] Orlando Gibbons

maryellen jensen maryellenjensen28 at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 27 20:00:46 PST 2012

Salut Stephanie,

I'm afraid that there are no real depths to plunge on the subject of Gould/Gibbons - other than the interpretations that Gould recorded... The best you can do is listen to the album "A Consorte Of Musicke" and watch the performance and short commentary included in Monsaingeon's quartet of documentaries now known as "The Alchemist" in which Gould does his 'fin de siecle' spiel for the 10th time. Why Gould didn't record more of Gibbons is a question only Gould can answer, Gibbons having written much more for the keyboard and the 'Early Music' movement having already begun (as if that would matter?)...

If you go back into the F Minor Archives I do believe that Bradley Lehman has written some interesting posts on the subject but that he was also somewhat critical of Gould's trills : professional criticism - which is invariably also an appreciation  (right Bradley?) - being always much more interesting than full-blown adulatory genuflection wherein one must subscribe to "total awesomeness" and "if just once to touch the garment" (right Kate?) and such ilk.

What you seem to be implying as "uncanny" would be Gibbons' death from "apoplexy" vis a vis Gould's death from a cerebral aneurysm.  ???   That's not "uncanny": It's not a coincidence, it's not preturnatural, it's not even spooky.
The two men died - as have millions of other people, male and female - from a similar cause. Let us please be reasonable.

To stop calling the man "Glenn", as if he had been a personal friend of yours, would be a good start and if you really just can't help referring to someone you never met by their first name then at least spell it "Glen", the way he did most of the time.

I personally love those trills, each and every one of them,
Mary