[f_minor] Scriabin

Houpt, Fred fred.houpt at rbc.com
Mon Jan 30 06:31:30 PST 2012

GOOD Heavens, I seem to have set the GG forest afire!!!!   Well, my
reaction to the Scriabin was a first impression and what I was paying
attention to were the melodic elements, not the structures.   I've heard
lots of Scriabin and find him attractive, but this particular Sonata, on
first encounter, I found, now that I think of my initial metaphor, like
a forest devoid of all its leaves.  Stark, blank and empty are the first
things that come to mind.  To honor the strong responses that my small
post has elicited I will revisit the sonata and give it another
listen......

I still lament GG's lack of Debussy and Faure for that matter.  I can
only imagine how he would have launched a frontal attack on some of
Rach's more treacherously ponderous technical moments.....

Kind regards,

Fred Houpt