[f_minor] OT: Intro to Classical Music for a young lad ?

Arlene Dick arlenedick at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 17 14:54:32 PST 2011

One word of caution about the Magic Flute if you ever decide to attend with him in person.

I once took my then young son to a matinee performance of the Magic Flute at the UofT school of opera.  They had to stop the performance at one point and caution the children in the audience if they couldn't keep the noise level down, perhaps they should leave.  We were one of the ones that did indeed leave.
What was the problem for youngsters?  The Magic Flute has a lot of recitative and many kids have no patience for that, especially young lads.

---Arlene

---Arlene

________________________

http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com/
http://arlenenow.blogspot.com/

>________________________________

find. The idea sounds most interesting. I will also try to watch Fantasia with
Godson the next time I see him. If you are not aware of this movie please do
watch it. Stoikowski conducts Bach, Beethoven and Strawinksy (gasp ! I hear you
say, but it works ! Plus, kids like dinosaurs, so why not?) amongst others and
the visual stimulant is absolutey mindblowing stuff, especially the Nurcracker
with the woodelfs. I must admit I had not seen this movie before but it was
worth every minute.

>I shall also look into all the other suggestions you kindly
sent in. Lenny doing his shtick might be interesting, I just hope he is not too
blase for a 10 year old. But if his style of delivery is getting popular again
then why not ?

>I also wonder about that thing with the Magic Flute done with
marionettes is worth it. Just playing the music “as is” without telling him what
it is might work then. The idea sound most interesting, Mozart and Marionettes.
Hm.

>For the moment Godson will get the new children’s book by
Dawkins (because scientific knowledge is also important !) and in terms of
classical music Peter and the Wolf (narrated in german by Loriot and english by
David Bowie).
>He will also get the WTC 1 played by GG because someone
suggested that this would quite easy, I have also added the Two and Three Part
Inventions because they are short. Tracks from the Klavierbüchlein would have
also been sweet but I dunno any good recordings, shame on me. At least I know GG
never recorded the full thing. You can never have too much Bach in any
case.

>And if he likes that stuff I already have a few ideas and
suggestions for his birthday.

>Again, thank you all for helping me out on that one and the
best of the season for you and yours.

>OT closed
>Pat
This has triggered memories.  One thing my students did can make me laugh
remembering it.  When listening to the 1812 Overture, they threw papers
balls every time the cannon boomed.  I'm sure all of them remember that
music.

>Anita  (-:
>

>On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 2:04 AM, Timothy Conway <timcon at comswest.net.au> wrote:
>
>Anita Monroe wrote:
>>
>>Hi Pat,  I introduced hundreds of students to  classical music.  I didn't tell them what it was, just played it and  sometimes had them figure out "the beat".  They loved Beethoven's  5th.  It has great rhythm.  The second movement can make anyone  sway,even sitting at a desk.  I would just sit with the kid, listen to  good stuff and beat the rhythm, maybe with a little  drum.
>>>I agree. That's how we all learned at school in  England when I was 11. Our music teacher, who could play just about every  instrument in the orchestra and had a good voice, used to play us Morning and  From the Hall of the Mountain King (Greig) on 78s and a wind-up gramophone. He  also had that Rachmaninov prelude where the bloke is supposedly lying in his  coffin hoping to be released, Ravel's Bolero, The Sorcerer's Apprentice,  bouncy bits of Handel and LvB, ditto Boccherini and whatever else he could  find that we would like. One record a week was a fun record, like The Runaway  Train Went Over The Hill, or Danny Kaye's Tubby the Tuba or Der Liddle Fiddle.  If there was anything we didn't like, he never played it again. Only when we  were 15 or more did he introduce us to serious stuff, and at that stage the LP  had arrived and we were no longer confined to shorter pieces.
>>
>>And after
  more than 50 years I can still remember a lot of the pieces he played us
  (those I mentioned and The New World Symphony second movement, Schubert's
  Unfinished, Eine Kleine Nachtmusic, Rossini overtures, thrilling bits of Verdi
  especially La Donna e Mobile, and so on) -- all potboilers but just what we
  weedy almost-teens needed to interest us in proper music. Mind you -- times
  were different then because there was little TV and radio and not every house
  had a gramophone. The Internet was decades away. So I suppose we would have
  lapped up anything. But although times change, kids
  don't.

>>HTH.
>>

>>-- Tim Conway
>>Geraldton, Western