[f_minor] Andrew Kazdin passes away at 77

James Wright gzarlino at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 3 10:04:26 EST 2011

I agree.  In addition to Kazdin’s enormous contribution in the studio, his honest, candid and personal account of his relationship with GG is valuable, even if it is tinged with some lingering painful memories.  The following is excerpted from pianist Anton Kuerti’s review of Kazdin’s Glenn Gould at Work: Creative Lying (http://reviewcanada.ca/reviews/2010/05/01/glenn-goulds-manipulations/):

Kazdin was Gould's recording engineer — and apparently much more — for no less than 15 years. No style of writing could be more opposite to Gould's then Kazdin's colloquial, easy-going manner; he speaks to us very simply and unpretentiously, and often naively, as in an epilogue which dwells on the irony of Gould's death being caused by a stroke: 'His .... brain, his greatest asset, is what killed him.'
It was impossible to have a relationship based on equality with Glenn.

He displays a convincing mixture of adulation and resentment toward Glenn. It seems that he outdid himself on Glenn's behalf, far beyond the course of duty, and was suddenly discarded, as he learned during a phone conversation on the very eve of a planned recording session:

'Does this mean our association is over?' He answered in a very hurried fashion: ' Yes. Now don 't be a stranger.... Maybe I'll see you if I ever get down to New York. Look, I've really got to go. Good bye.’… I never heard from him again. Thus ended our fifteen-year relationship. No regrets, no emotion, no thank yous.

According to Kazdin, suddenly relegating friends to the dustbin was characteristic of Glenn; Menuhin, it seems, was excommunicated after a joke Glenn didn't appreciate (the same happened to me, by the way), and Vern Edquist, his faithful tuner, was also discarded.

It was impossible to have a relationship based on equality with Glenn. He loved to tease and make seemingly jocular yet none the less sarcastic remarks, but woe to anyone who reciprocated. Also immediately ostracized, according to Kazdin, was anyone who dared even hint at or ask about any relationships Glenn might have with women.

The 'Creative Lying' subtitle of Kazdin's book does not refer, as one might suspect, to his editing practices (which however are discussed in great detail), and refers only marginally to his practice of fabricating phony interviews (by writing out a script in advance for both parties — also well described in the book); it is mainly related to his way of dealing with others. While purporting to believe in absolute equality and honesty between people, even to the point that “...he didn't believe in the concept of 'intelligence'; there was no such thing as a stupid man...everyone was equally intelligent: it was just a matter of each one finding his niche...”

He actually treated many people in a most manipulative and utilitarian manner:

Over the years, I listened to Glenn plan how he was going to avoid talking to someone.... I saw him concoct elaborate schemes to help bring a personal relationship to an end....Every time Gould cancelled a recording session at the last minute I came to suspect that I was being treated to an exhibition of creative lying. If the process can be summarized as telling whatever story is expedient in order to get your 'opponent' to do what you want, then it surely is one of the most powerful tools in the process of control.

Kazdin confesses, in effect, to manipulating Gould himself, but in a totally different manner. He knew that to be able to work productively with Gould, he must absolutely prevent any bad feelings from developing between them, so he gritted his teeth and refrained from reacting when Glenn, in a rare visit to his home, violated his privacy by picking up and inspecting his private date book, and tried to insist, quite seriously and adamantly, that Kazdin must make his wife stop reading Cosmopolitan.

James K. Wright, Ph.D.
Associate Professor &
Supervisor of Performance Studies
School for Studies in Art & Culture: Music
A917 Loeb Building, Carleton University
1125 Colonel By Drive
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada  K1S 5B6
Email: James_Wright at carleton.ca