[f_minor] Andrew Kazdin passes away at 77

Gess, Richard J libgess at emory.edu
Fri Dec 2 21:20:19 EST 2011

I was saddened to hear of Andrew Kazdin's death via this list. I started rereading his GG memoir today (it's nice to work in a big college library where most any book that anyone mentions is just a short elevator ride away) and was immediately struck by (a) how witty and engaging a writer he was, and (b) how his unvarnished portrait of Gould is done from fascination and admiration, not out of a desire to wreak revenge for past slights--though in his accounting, he and many others were eventually slighted, or worse, by GG. He portrays a very complicated man with scrupulous honesty, but his necessary recounting of Gould's human shortcomings shows him as a character in the general human comedy, not as a cliche star-with-evil-dark-side. The book is infused with Gould's loopy joy and Kazdin's sense of humor about Gould, the strange and irresistible maestro. It's a lasting memorial to them both.

Besides all that, Kazdin's place in the world enabled him to refer to Stokowski as "Stoky"--just another workplace eccentric. His sidebars about some of GG's fellow travelers at Columbia Records are a tasty bonus. And his descriptions of the analog recording process evoke an era that now seems romantically distant.

Richard