[f_minor] How To Cash In With Remasters

Pat pzumst at bluewin.ch
Sun Jun 12 18:56:00 EDT 2011

Hi Jörgen et al

No insult was intended from my part in terms of you passing on the good news.
I for one am quite interested in new GG DVDs, rest assured most of us have been wating to see decent releases for a decade now and I can’t wait to get more news ! So please do keep us updated !

One of the reasons why your post has been met with reluctance is the bad track record of Sony and to a bigger extent, the CBC.  And the secondary material that has seen the light of day such as Genius Within is hardly woth mentioning. To a certain extent this is proof of my more or less inspired personal view that the classical music industry didn’t get it yet.

Here we have one of the most talented pianists of the last 50 years, the best known classical musician of his native country who left an amazing audiovisual legacy for both CBS and Canada’s public broadcasting company and as of yet this legacy has by no means been treated with the attention or care it deserves. I suspect we can blame that on the CBC, probably for some legal issues.

Another reason for lack of people responding with enthusiasm could be found in the fact that we need more details. Track list, release date, production team etc. I am sure these will surface with time, unless someone decides to scrap this project and we should be thankful for not knowing how many GG release projects have been scrapped during the planning stage.

Now don’t get me wrong here, the GG video collection was a mixed bag thanks to M. Monstagenon, also responsible for the Heraefter haigiography desaster. And Genius Within wasn’t exactly a challenge or revelation for us Gouldians.
No wonder people are a bit reluctant when it comes to the announcement of a GG DVD box set.

Maybe I have been a bit cynical here, but consider what has been done with DSOTM (see below) and GG.

The Sony Box Set was a step in the right direction. Let us hope that GG’s visual legacy will be treated in a similar fashion.

Jörgen, you can be sure that as soon as more details are available (pleasd do spill the beans when you have them) or we will be hit by an Officaial Announcement the list will be teaming with speculation. I for one am eager to get more info and have started to lay a few pennies aside for the end of September.

Pat