[f_minor] Not Gould but ...

maryellen jensen maryellenjensen28 at hotmail.com
Thu May 19 21:25:55 EDT 2011

Awfully quiet around here lately I must say - still catching up with your Leonard Cohen albums? "The Future" is my favourite ... not for nothing the GG Prize, n'est-ce pas?

Just last week I found a series of "live" lectures on Beethoven's Sonatas given by Andras Schiff in London and I fell under the spell. Has anyone else heard them? If so, will you please comment on them? I wept during the second 'movement' of Opus 111, I just fell apart: it wasn't because of Schiff's narrative, it was the music and how Schiff played it. There is no irony intended here for those of you who might be chuckling. No no. Sorry. I really blubbed and was relieved not to have been among the 'publicke' in such a state although there must have been plenty of people in the audience who found themselves wiping away tears and suppressing sobs, if the amplitude of the belated applause accounts for anything; applause which Schiff had already expressed was not entirely welcome in such circumstances. Here at my little home station I applauded as well, loud and clear, once the shock of beauty's sting had pulled its weight of tears from my soul. Then I staggered to the window for an eyefull of night sky.

Unfortunately the first "three parts" of this series/link are no longer completely active (there are just a few brief moments of music or discourse and then silence). The 'series' begins at: "Part Four: towards The Pastoral". I began listening at Part Eight and without ever intending to do so I did nothing other than listen for an entire evening (and then I blubbed and then I went outside for a walk in the night).

http://music.guardian.co.uk/classical/page/0,,1943867,00.html

Spoiler alert: Schiff plays Sonata 14 Opus 27 no. 2  as fast as ...

SOS: can anybody tutor me on how I can keep these downloads from The Guardian?

Mary