[f_minor] Celebrating Gould in 2012

James Atkins Pritchard jamesatkinspritchard at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 18:22:03 EST 2011

There are some wonderful ideas here, especially the multimedia stage
adaption of "The Idea of North".

A few other thoughts:

-a performance of the the Gould String Quartet

-aren't there some Gould transcriptions (e.g. Strauss) that have never been
performed?

-a performance of Hindemith's "Das Marienleben" (Gould loved this work)

-a performance of Strauss's "Enoch Arden"

-a recital of early English keyboard music (e.g. Bull, Byrd, Gibbons) played
on the piano

-a piano recital including Wagner's Siegfried Idyll (and perhaps also the
Meistersinger Overture)

-perhaps a performance of Hindemith's "Ludus Tonalis" (a work Gould never
recorded but should have)

-of course, lots of Bach (including a performance of The Art of Fugue--or
possibly more than one performance--there could be an organ performance, a
piano performance, and a performance by an instrumental ensemble); perhaps
also the complete WTC

-Shostakovich Preludes and Fugues?

-a concert of verse anthems by Orlando Gibbons (Gould loved this music)

-a performance of the fifth Brandenburg Concerto with the piano as the
keyboard instrument

-a screening of the Gould TV documentary about the City of Toronto

-Vincent Tovell would be a great speaker

Just some random ideas...

Best regards,

Jim Pritchard