[f_minor] Can this be right?

Pat pzumst at bluewin.ch
Thu Feb 24 14:35:01 EST 2011

G’day f_minor

GG-bashing is still en vogue I see...

While I do agree that benzies and Queen Valium had an effect on his playing
and choice of repertoire this article is too objective. I accuse the writer
of being biased and not having properly studied the subject.

The claim that the low chair and all that deprived him of playing romantic
music is nonsense since GG was not interested in romantic repertoire at all.
It is therefore unfair to compare him to Pogorelich, mainly because GG was
not in need of winning over listeners. He did his thing and basically didn’t
care. Of course he would have bigger audiences had he recorded that romantic
schmus. But he didn’t because he had his own agenda. I prefer this kind of
artistic approach. GG wasn't doing this gig for the money, whereas I got me
doubts on other classical artists.

Once you realize that you don't have to please everybody all the time
working as a musician gives you more freedom to do what you want and not
please crowds and critics with an unth recording of, say, Chopin Nocturnes.
That is what made GG different from his contemporaries and if the writer has
failed to recognize that, well, sorry, mate. Blame that unqualified article
on the Valium.

So GG was worried or desperate, eh ? And thought that he could satisfy his
audiences with spliced tape trickery ? Well, then show me a recording studio
where they don’t use Ableton or LogicPro and I show you an honest
politician. GG did what he wanted to do without the pressure of an audience
or exactly this sort of critics who still write nonsense about a man who has
been dead since 1982. And not that I want to encourage him he didn’t say one
word about that movie he claims to have seen...

Am I rambling or has this journalist reached his goal by winding me up ?

Pat