[f_minor] Glenn Gould Down Under

Brett Allen-Bayes brettab at ihug.com.au
Sat Jan 1 18:35:14 EST 2011

I don't know if you know or not but Glenn's friend John Roberts is
Australian, migrating to Canada in the early fifties. I recall Gould sending
discs to Roberts's father in Australia. (I think it comes up in the
Letters.) Roberts told me that Gould was very interested in Australia -
particularly in its unique wildlife. However after his protracted illness in
Europe in 59, it was highly unlikely that Gould would travel overseas again;
and of course he did not. Mind you Gould's ties with Australia and the ABC
Australian conductor (sir) Bernard Heinze went home singing his praise after
accompanying the teenaged Gould in one of his very first teenaged orchestral
concerts. By the time that Heinze convinced the ABC of Gould's validity as
an artist, his days as an overseas artist were quickly approaching an end.
And of course the ABC wanted Gould to tour for 4-6 weeks!

Brett

  _____