[f_minor] sony, where is your head !?

pzumst pzumst at bluewin.ch
Fri Dec 17 14:47:59 EST 2010

Hi all

btw 32 has also been re-released in Japan on DVD. Sony never even bothered to release the movie as a Code 2 DVD for us Europeans. Shame on you, Sony ! I could be cynical by claiming that you can artificially create demand for a product that does not exist, but I am not into Marketing Strategies.

It is my understanding that the people who are currently in charge of Mr Gould's audiovisual legacy is the GG Foundation. I would't be surprised to hear that there are "copyright issues" (i.e. who gets the money), otherwise this material would have been released long ago. I did ask the GGF in an Open Letter, but never got a reply...

 My bigggest fear is that Sony will simply transfer the old VHS tapes to DVD for a quick buck, I assume that this is what happened with the japanese releases. There Will Be Reckoning if they plan that for the rest of the world.

My optimistic guess is that they (Sony) are preparing something for 2012, hopefully without the "aid" of Bruno M, with a PR machinery in full blast and all the Pomp and Circumstances you can imagine with a release date during the Fall, just right for chrissie sales. They will pretend that nothing happened, that this DVD set will be the biggest thing since sliced bread. It will probably be slightly overpriced because they know we will buy and because GG still sells and will sell even more because this particular material has been unavailable for years.  If I want to be very cynical I could imagine a BluRay-only release by then, so people like me would have to by a BluRay Player as well..

Pat