[f_minor] Glenn Gould Bach and the Voyager leaving our Solar System

SCARLATTI at aol.com SCARLATTI at aol.com
Tue Dec 14 21:16:30 EST 2010

&&&&&&&   Voyager is on schedule to  leave the solar system shortly.
_scarlatti at aol.com_ (mailto:scarlatti at aol.com)

In a message dated 12/14/2010 5:54:31 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
pzumst at bluewin.ch writes:

G'day all

Now just check this for a laugh, I can't even  grasp it myself, correct me
if I'm wrong. In astronomy, distances are measured  in au or astronomical
units,  1 au is roughly the distance from the Earth  to the Sun, around 149
million km. Both Voyagr spacecrafts have travveled ca  115 au with a speed of
around 3 au per year. It is my understanding that  astronomers still argue
on where Instersellar Space starts, 230'000 au should  do it. At around
271'000 au you wuld find the next star.  According  to JPL both crafts should
have enegry untill ca 2025 to broadcast scientific  data. At least in theory
they could reach Alpha Centauri in around 40'000  years or so.

No need to feel small and insignificant, but  proud that we have achieved
something so phenomenal !

Pat