[f_minor] OT: One for the Opera Buffs / Aida on the Rhine / GG and Wagner

pzumst pzumst at bluewin.ch
Mon Sep 27 19:38:08 EDT 2010

G'day f_minor

I must apologize for the fact that this has almost nothing to do with GG (apart from the end bit) , but in a media landscape full of Idols, Idiots, Millionaires and Family Feuds this is a very interesting experiment. And I thought you might find that interesting, at least those of you who are into Opera.

The Swiss Broadcasting Corporation (Schweizer Fernsehen, télévision suisse romande, televisione svizzera italiana) is going to broadcast Aida.

Live.
On a Friday.
At eight.
Prime Time.
Being performed on a bridge.
And around a million people will be watching on TV.

SF 1 will broadcast Verdi's Aida live from the middle Rhine bridtge in  Basel this Friday night (basically round the corner from me). This is not the first time they do something that unusual, I think they broadcasted La Triviata (heh) live from Zurich Central Train Station and got an award for that. Here is the teaser trailer for Aida : http://www.videoportal.sf.tv/video?id=16b64934-dc52-49cd-86de-c30242ba2645

I have to give them credit for that, a TV station daring to broadcast a live opera during prime time these days deserves quite some respect. If you want to see it, try www.zatoo.com. If SF1 will not be available, try to get a fake IP, that should to the trick and is not that difficult. Europeans please check your Satellite recievers or try Zattoo.

The event starts on Friday at 20:00 CET, I Have fun and enjoy !

End of OT, but there is a GG connection I managed to knit in here not to disgruntle the purists.

Are people who like GG also Opera lovers ? I have often wondered about that. And how come he liked such horribly pompous monstrosities like Wagner Operas ? Given his ideas and theories about music he should have resented Wagner (which he didn't) or have I missed the bus here somewhere ?

Pat