[f_minor] Gould 1981 Goldberg Ghost Orchestra

Jörgen Lundmark jorgen.lundmark at sundsvall.nu
Thu Sep 2 17:16:40 EDT 2010

There are indeed non-piano sounds -- string orchestra -- on the 1981
Goldbergs. It's easiest to hear at the end of variation 15. The problem
-- as far as I remember Bruno Monsaingeon explaining it -- was the
mixing table which "leaked" a radio station signal onto the master.
Perhaps someone has a more specific explanation, but the sound is
definitely there. Some years ago when this was first discussed on F
minor, I saw a list with the exact timing of other extraneous sounds on
the Goldbergs; doors slamming etc. I cannot say I've heard any of these
though.

The funny thing is that DG:s rerelease of the WTC with Rosalyn Tureck --
first track -- also has a ghost sound.

Regards,
Jorgen