[f_minor] On The Island / Off The Island

Brad Lehman bpl at umich.edu
Wed Aug 18 17:59:24 EDT 2010

On 8/18/2010 5:45 PM, pzumst wrote:
> Hmm. If he had a choice of say 8 records (like in the real Desert Island
> Disc show) he would also take Byrd & Gibbons, I think he claimed
> somewhere that this was his favourite own recording. Isn't there an
> aticle in the GG Reader about this subject ?

He wasn't claiming that about his own recording of Byrd/Gibbons, or
claiming to like any of his own recordings.  His pick there (re Gibbons)
was a vocal record of Gibbons's anthems performed by the Deller Consort.
  His other picks were the Schoenberg Serenade conducted by Maderna, and
the DG recording of Sibelius 5 conducted by von Karajan.  The last half
of his article is about his fourth choice, the Beethoven concerto #4
with Schnabel/Stock, for sentimental reasons from his teen years.

The article in question is on pages 437-440 of the Reader.

He says also in there that his "favorite album of the last few years"
[up to 1970] was Wagner's "Die Walkure" conducted by von Karajan, but
then he explains it away: that he couldn't dare pick any composition
"dependent on the mechanics of a plot" for a desert-island choice.

Brad Lehman