[f_minor] Gould's Remarkable Haydn

maryellen jensen maryellenjensen28 at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 30 17:36:53 EDT 2010

Don't know where you live but where I live a steaming heatwave has come to an end and though the days are bright there's that long shadow of August light and a certain smoky perfume in the evening air already. Magical stuff, Yeats even:
PRESENCES

                    by: W. B. Yeats (1865-1939)

                HIS night has been so strange
                      that it seemed
                      As if the hair stood up on my head.
                      From going-down of the sun I have dreamed
                      That women laughing, or timid or wild,
                      In rustle of lace or silken stuff,
                      Climbed up my creaking stair. They had read
                      All I had rhymed of that monstrous thing
                      Returned and yet unrequited love.
                      They stood in the door and stood between
                      My great wood lectern and the fire
                      Till I could hear their hearts beating:
                      One is a harlot, and one a child
                      That never looked upon man with desire,
                      And one, it may be, a queen.

End of summer indeed. So what's all this Yeats in aid of? Simply that I cannot find Gould's 1980-81 recording of Haydn's Sonata in E-flat Major, Hob. XVI: 49 in its entirety on youtube without some very weird 'connections' attached. I have the recording on lp and cd but what is flummoxing is the "vampire" connection on the youtube lists. So is this what ancient and classical music has come down to? Cannibals and vampires, bullies, psycho killers, fetischists, rapists and snobs?

Mary Jensen