[f_minor] sonic collision

Brad Lehman bpl at umich.edu
Wed Jul 21 11:22:57 EDT 2010

On 7/21/2010 9:33 AM, Houpt, Fred wrote:
> I think GG played the Clavichord but maybe not recorded on such.

I don't recall seeing any mention of Gould playing the clavichord,
anywhere in the Gould literature that I've seen.  Given the way he hit
that Wittmayer "harpsichord" too hard, pounding the jacks into the rail,
I don't think he had any clue about playing the clavichord or using its
fingerings, either.  :)

Wanna hear somebody hit a clavichord hard?  Oscar Peterson's album of
"Porgy and Bess", accompanied by Joe Pass on guitar.  The person in
charge of the clavichord said later that they'd had to retune the
instrument after every take, because Peterson was bending the strings so
much with his touch.

Brad Lehman