[f_minor] Fw: Gould Meets Haydn / Streisand

Houpt, Fred fred.houpt at rbc.com
Mon Jul 19 15:39:00 EDT 2010

Thou fiend!!!!  To belittle said Babs to a mere hack pop artist, is
sacrilege.  If I could invoke Moe of the Three stooges, you'd have a
cream pie on it's way. It is quite true that she was a pop star but
before that she was a Broadway star.  She is also a talented writer,
producer and director.  She is entirely built of different material than
the divine Ella or others in the jazz field.  In my view I could not
live without Babs or Ella, both divas in their own fields.

Speaking so disdainfully as you have about merely having millions of
fans (as if this was normal) so too did Pavarotti, and no one could
argue that it lessened his talent, despite his choices of repertoire.
To be loved by millions does mean that you've hit the mark in some way
and sheer numbers as you allude to, do not make for much of any
argument.  I mean, Motley  Crew probably has a fair number of fans but I
would not foist their noise on any sentient being, despite what their
ill bred fans think.   Good heavens, perish the thought.....

Babs might have pretentions from time to time but in her field, among
her colleagues, she is known as a very thorough professional, although
given to being a control freak, her work generally comes about in a very
satisfying manner, with few faux pas to show for it. Rather than say
that Barbara just merely sang the best, I would argue as would her fans
that her voice stands up on its own and need not be compared to
Schwarzkopf, another singer that GG quite admired.

It is like comparing two totally different alcohol drinks.....the end
result will always reflect the tastes of the individual.

Fred