[f_minor] Re : Dukas

Jean-Christophe Ponsero ponserj2 at yahoo.fr
Mon Jul 19 14:46:10 EDT 2010

Dear Fred,

I discovered the Dukas sonata in the international piano festival in La Roque
d'Anthéron (outdoor performances in the south of France), played by Marc-André
Hammelin, a Canadian pianst who loves exploring untrodden paths from Sorabji to
Godowsky or Kapustine. I was really seduced by it but I would not play it as it
exceeds my technical skills by far. I notably love the 3rd toccata-like
movement. Apart from Hammelin, another good recording exists by François-René
Duchâble, available on Youtube.

I believe it is a very interesting work, rich of many ideas and
well-structured, even though it sounds very "chromatic" as you say. After all,
it was composed in 1901 so nothing suprising about it! The structure reminds me
of Beethoven but the harmony rather of Franck and Wagner.

 I said I'd be glad to hear a Gould performance of it because it would be one of
these rather obscure works he could have defended with panache like the Bizet or
the Strauss pieces.