[f_minor] Facebook

RubatoM at aol.com RubatoM at aol.com
Tue Jul 13 18:02:34 EDT 2010

Yes,   it was in 1960 or 1961 - not sure of the date.   He came to Rock
Hill, South Carolina to play for the all-girl audience of giggly Southerners at
the then all-female Winthrop College.   I had already listened to some of
his recordings, as had members of the music department, so we knew what to
expect.   None of us knew that he didn't enjoy performing.   He seemed relaxed
and many of the "eccentric" habits were there to see.

Because my seat was on the front row, I could hear him humming along with
the music. I had never heard such playing, and I had heard other major
performers, such as Rubinstein.   The program was primarily Bach, I don't remember
the particular pieces.   The photos of him truly do not show how handsome
he was.

I think that this was the only time that he visited South Carolina.   I
hope that we didn't increase his dislike for audiences.

Anita