[f_minor] Bravo Fortissimo Howler

Anne Marble amarble at sff.net
Sat Jul 3 08:19:40 EDT 2010

From: "Houpt, Fred" <fred.houpt at rbc.com>

> Is it not funny how public tastes have morphed so much since the great
> influence of modern pop music, rock and roll, electronic music
> (especially brilliant guys like Brian Eno and Peter Gabriel, etc.) and
> jazz....all how it changed the way our ears would listen to classical
> music?

I wonder what Klaus Nomi fans would make of counter-tenors?... :-)

> Consider that at the turn of the 20'th century when most people heard
> the classics either on scratchy 78's or on early radio or in concert
> halls....and there was much less modern or pop music filling the almost
> empty air waves....and all of that had an influence on the way we
> thought music should be interpreted....All of that changes (these days)
> with so many influences from around the world at our beck and call.

After listening to alternative rock, metal core, math core, etc., I find
that the idea of listening to Schoenberg and the like is no longer so
daunting. I can't remember what CD I was listening to the other day, but it
really made me think of one of the 20th century classical composers. You
know, the ones the teachers can never get Music 101 students to like.

> So, my point I guess is that musical tastes have never fossilized but
> have always been in flux and so we should not be surprised that what was
> once a huge aural shock (GG's Brahms or his Mozart sonatas....gasp!!!)
> is now just part of a much wider musical spectrum.  I suppose that we
> could also speculate that the musically correct movements (from the
> likes of Roger Norrington and Tafelmusik) would be akin to
> counter-reformations....?

Maybe Antidisestablishmentarianism? Just because I like that word. :-)

Anne Marble