RE: [F_minor] Idea of north and 'crys of London'.

Orson Welles was another Larger-Than-Life Wunderkind whose achievements
mere mortals gape at in awe. Among the "Cahiers du Cinema" crowd, one of
his greatest achievements was the revolutionary act of mixing many
simultaneous conversations and voices in crowded, public scenes, starting
with "Citizen Kane," and it's also a distinctive feature of "The
Magnificent Ambersons."

Sound films began with "The Jazz Singer" in 1929, and if the cineastes are
to be believed, not a single director ever mixed multiple voices before
Welles did in 1941. (He's also credited with inventing ceilings for
interior room scenes -- previously interior room sets in sound stages had
no ceilings.)

This suggests that like Gould, Welles was an obsessive technology innovater
and even, if necessary, an inventer. The mixing in Kane and Ambersons gives
the audience the ultra-realistic "random" sensation of listening to other
patrons in a diner or dozens of guests at a fancy party.

But in Welles' movies it's not random at all, it couldn't be more
controlled and synthetic. Welles wants you to hear particular snatches and
phrases, he wants you to very clearly hear specific snippets of idle gossip
and chitchat. He uses them as very specific and very important details to
construct and reflect nuance of character, and to emphasize the calendar
moment -- "... saw one of those flying machines yesterday ..." -- far
beyond the visual cues of costume and architecture that try to depict 1910
to the audience.

But his previous work with sound -- stage drama and live broadcasts of
radio dramas -- would tend to force him to think about simultaneous
conversations. An actor who starts his line before the previous actor's
line is finished is said to have "stepped on" the first actor's line.
Unwanted silence on stage is a director's nightmare, and "dead air" in a
live radio broadcast is worse, so there's a lot of intentional stepping on
lines to hustle the pace and beat the clock.

Welles was also the (anonymous, uncredited) voice of radio's biggest hit,
"The Shadow."

Bob