RE: [F_minor] a somewhat off-topic question

For me, (sorry if these questions were not addressed to me) there are two types of music. A music I can enjoy because of the emotional appeal, and music that appeals to intelligence. I have learnt, in my short experience, that most music is a combination of both, to different extents. I must say I do not actually 'like' music that appeals strictly to the intellect, but I can certainly find some enjoyment in what can be called the developpement of it; in order words, I can appreciate it, as well as where it comes from. I do not have perfect pitch, and I can only go so far as to say that I appreciate serialism, that I do not enjoy it.

I am reminded of what Yehudi Menuhin said while talking to Glenn Gould about a Schoenberg Fantasia for Violin and Piano. I cannot quote exactly what he said, but it compared works of Schoenberg to a 'modernized version of the play Hamlet, in which the letters were rearranged, and lines of text appeared in random order. A person who knew the play Hamlet could have drawn the conection, but as far as individual words and such go, very little enjoyment could be brought about from it for the normal reader. And so it is with Schoenberg, at least for me.

Singh