Re: GG Mozart

Fred wrote:
>This recording is the one I wrote about earlier describing it as having a
>beautiful watercolor painting on the cover instead of the usual pictures of
>GG.  Now I know why.  Amazon advertised this album as being on the >Sony
Label #45613 released Jan. 14, 1991.  This has turned out to be >an error.
The label is "CBS Masterworks and Odyssey " released in >1989.  Since I
don't have the Sony 1991 release to compare this >recording with I can't say
if the quality is better or worse.

Hi Fred!  I don't know if you're aware of this, but much of the Sony Glenn
Gould releases, in the white cd cases with the b&w pictures of Glenn, is
rereleased stuff that was previously available on the Masterworks label.
Sony did some remastering (Super-bit mapping, so called) and jacked the
price way up.  I've compared the Beethoven sonatas and the Well-tempered
Clavier recordings, and IMHO the Sony versions aren't worth the extra money.
If you can get hold of any of the Glenn Gould Collection VHS videos though,
I think they're great.  Last time I saw some, in Chicago, they were selling
for only like $10 (down from $29.99 in '95 or so).

Jeremy Smith