GG Mozart

This morning for the first time I finally heard GG play Mozart.  I was not disappointed.  He played with the same enthusiasm and humor that I enjoyed on the Haydn recording.

I really didn't know what to expect after reading the reviews on amazon.  It isn't the usual Mozart, in fact maybe the album cover should give Glenn Gould top billing instead of Mozart.  IMHO Mozart would probably have enjoyed hearing his music played by GG since he too had a sense of humor and was inventive.

This recording is the one I wrote about earlier describing it as having a beautiful watercolor painting on the cover instead of the usual pictures of GG.  Now I know why.  Amazon advertised this album as being on the Sony Label #45613 released Jan. 14, 1991.  This has turned out to be an error.  The label is "CBS Masterworks and Odyssey " released in 1989.  Since I don't have the Sony 1991 release to compare this recording with I can't say if the quality is better or worse.  I can say that I am enjoying it very much and for the $14.00 that I paid for the set of 2 discs it is well worth having.

Maybe everyone else has already heard GG play Mozart.  If you haven't, you might give it a try.  I can't describe the emotion that Glenn put into his playing on this recording but I can tell you that in some spots there were surprises that caused me to laugh out loud.

Fred

Fred Stubbings
velfred@earthlink.net
Run virus scan weekly