Re: GG: Desert Island Discs

Tim wrote

> Kate Clunies-Ross mentioned that she thought she had heard that GG was
> fond of Canada's equivalent of the BBC's Desert Island Discs (DID) and
> had complained about not being asked to be the castaway.
>
> If GG had been the castaway, what 8 pieces of music/recordings would he
> have chosen? Which would have been his favourite?

I'll have to think about that....

> What 'comfort' item
> would he have chosen in addition to the 8 discs, Shakespeare and the
> Bible?

> As a starter, I nominate GG's car (Longfellow?) as the comfort item,
> possibly together with the truck-drivers' café he used to frequent
> complete with fug and swearing truckies.

Ah, but you are not allowed human companionship on DID!  And GG I think
would have managed very well without it, knowing his views about solitude.
But surely he would have needed an endless supply of arrowroot  cookies and
Poland water.....and of course his winter clothing....even in splendid
isolation on a desert island. can you really imagine him  strolling around
the seashore in just a pair of frayed denim  shorts and nothing else?

Kate