GG-Shostakovich Quintet

Hi all--

I'm new to this list so I don't know if this topic has been discussed.

I'm a pianist, currently preparing the Shostakovich Piano Quintet; learning
that GG had performed this piece, I got the videotape. (It's Movements 1, 2,
and 5, omitting 3 and 4.)

Questions: who are the "Symphonia Quartet"? (Was that a polite euphemism for
"pickup group"?) Did Gould ever write or speak about this piece, and his
interpretation of it--*highly* unconventional in the Preludium, with tempo
irregularities, rolled chords etc.--or have others commented on it?

Thanks,
--
jvb