Re: R: R: GG Goldberg 81 Question

Gary, there is a difference between the same recording and the same
package.

You are correct, Amazon does show the listing for the 81 Goldberg
Recording.
However, if you look that photo of the cd cover, you'll see Masterworks
seal
in the upper right hand corner, and Bach, The Goldberb Variations, Glenn
Gould in the upper right hand corner. There is a colored stripe also
located
in the upper right hand corner.

I know about that CD package. However, what I am looking for is the same
recording, but in the Glenn Gould Edition packaging. It has a big Sony
Classical logo in the upper right hand corner. The words The Glenn Gould
Edition are enlarged in the upper left hand corner. Down the right hand
side
of the cover, below the Sony Classical Logo should be the words Bach,
The Goldberg Recordings, 1981 Digital Recording, Glenn Gould piano. The
photo used is a closeup shot of Gould, instead of a more distant, full body
photo used in the Amazon listing. The Canadian catalog number is: WSK
52619.

When you use the US Sonyclassical site, the only entry listed for the 1981
recording
is the record released in 1982: which is listed as 37779 available on CD,
cassette,
and super audio CD. Looking at the releases in 1992, 1993, 1994, and 1995,
the
1981 Goldberg is among the missing of issues released during those years.

Ken Hutchins

>I've been at Amazon.COM (US), many record stores, CDNOW, etc.
>The only Glenn Gould Edition version of the 81 Goldberg recording
>available is a mini disc version. Yes, it's the smaller sized CD that
>Sony is distributing, really to help their mini disc recorder/players.

If you go to www.amazon.com
select the "music" category,
and search for "gould glenn goldberg",

Three recordings come up.

The first one listed is Sony Classical # 37779.
(Originally released on CD by Columbia, in 1987)
It shows up as "on order, avail in 1 - 2 weeks.
$14.99.

This is the 1981 performance.

Some other folks have replied about earlier, or european releases
they have on CD, but I'm quite certain this is the same
recording.

-- Gary

Gary W Thorburn
978-206-3104