Re: GG: DJ Masta Glenn (layering different sounds on each other)

On Wed, 19 May 1999 01:17:04 +0200, you wrote:

>this thing we  call techno (or electronica as they call it overseas) has another
>side: Ambient.

Techno is techo in its many forms ! Ambient is what I'd describe as music for
listehning to at home and techno is club music (of a perticular kind of course).

>What about The Orb, Brian Eno, Orbital, Biosphere, Scanner et al (or someone
>like Steve Reich)? You can do much more with a sampler than just go for the beats.
>When I listen to the "idea of north" I sometimes think of it as a piece of "ambient
>music" .

This is very true.

>As you probably know some major works by Steve Reich have been remixed by some
>electronica artists on a cd called "reich remixed" and the results are quite
>interesting. I was just wondering what would happen if you would give the
>"Solitude Trilogy" to some of these electronica artists (ambient or techno).

The guy owns Nonesuch records I gather.

>If this sounds like heresy to some of you then I apologize but I really wonder what
>that would sound like........
>(you gotta try some new things every now and then)

Its not heresy at all as we're trying to comprehend the idea of making records,
and stitching them togethere. I think its a facsinating concept.

Add Blu Peter's new album "Widescreen and Digital" to your list of ambient
music. Peter is one DJ in the UK who seems very classically focussed. Not sure
he knows this himself yet !

(BTW highly recommended album) See www.blupeter.com for more info.

Neil
Neil