Re: GG: The Solitude Trilogy

On Sun, 28 Feb 1999, Anne M. Marble wrote:

> I finally buckled down and ordered "The Solitude Trilogy." Wow! I really
> loved it.

What I enjoy most about the "Trilogy" are the voices.  Especially the
nurse on "North."  With the tone and rhythm of their voices, these
ordinary people telling their stories became perfect instruments for
Glenn's counterpoint for radio.

> This reminds me about an earlier discussion about listening to Glenn
> Gould while working on the computer. (I read it in the digest before
> joining the list.)

Maybe it was my note to the list that your read. I've written before
about my habit of putting on Gould CD in before starting to work on the
computer (which is how I spend most of my time).  I get busy and don't
change the CD sometimes for days.  It becomes so familiar that I don't
have to actively listen to it, and that allows it to help me at a
subconcious level.

I've found that Bach (especially the Toccatas and Partitas) helps me with
technical work, while Brahms and Bizet help with creative work.  And the
singing is always soothing when the going gets rough.  I often say (to
myself, of course, so others don't think I've lost it) that Glenn and I
have completed a project or solved a problem.  Thanks, Glenn, and I wish I
could give you the credit you deserve.

Cyndie..