Re: F_minor...

>Was Gould's favourite key hence the name of the list. G major is such a
>trivial
>key.
>
>Neil

I think this came out in an interview once, but I don't how serious he was.
What is meant by a performer's favorite key?  I play a lot and I don't have
one.  Maybe I should?  Do listeners have favorite keys?

It makes sense for composers to be partial to certain keys, because of
certain musical technicalities or even personal experiences with specific
keys.  Beethoven's use of Cm and Mozart's use of Gm and Dm was more of a
saving or a reserving of these keys for certain characteristic works.

When first starting piano, everyone's favorite keys are C and Am. (grin)
But beyond that I must be missing something.

My favorite GG performance in Fm is the slow movement from the early Fmaj
Mozart sonata K.280.  It's amazing the 'levels' he extracts from this
movement!  That record of early sonatas from the sixties has a lot to do
with why I still play the piano (as an amateur) and I am very (very)
grateful for the effect it had on me!

Jerry